Information Overload

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Institute of Nanotechnology Forum Index -> Technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralph Mcadams

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Information Overload Reply with quote

There's too much information. How are we supposed to navigate our way around it all and how much of it should we believe?

Conflicting research reports carried out on the same subject. Selective reporting of certain elements of research in the media - not giving the whole picture in order to make a better story. Different editorial stances in different newspapers leadnig to different slants being placed on the same topic. Mnufacturers deliberately using technical language to confuse consumers and make their products look more impressive.
Gregory Hynes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Blinding with science Reply with quote

It depends on who is giving the information because if you get certain newspapers ... I know it sounds like Big Brother, we've got to go back to who's the owner of the paper.
Travis Steelman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest mistake I've made in the past is getting information from the media. It is so vast that if you read all of the broadsheets and tabloids throughout the weekend, you're going to get so many different views on it and unfortunately what you need to do is go out and find out for yourself, and do that research.
Craig Wight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're getting too much information on technology and it's done on purpose because it makes it sound more impressive. Look out for advertising - they start with all the ologies, suddenly it becomes scientific.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Institute of Nanotechnology Forum Index -> Technology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: