Super-dispersants for nanosize particles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Institute of Nanotechnology Forum Index -> Nanooptics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel Shanefield

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Super-dispersants for nanosize particles Reply with quote

Dispersing Nanosize Powders or Fibers

Nanosize powders and fibers have a serious problem with agglomeration (formation of lumps in the powder mass). Extra-powerful dispersants are needed, but information about these is not widely known. However, there is a book that does discuss both the theory and practice of dispersing nanosize powders, among other related topics. The title is "Organic Additives And Ceramic Processing, by D. J. Shanefield, Kluwer Academic Publishing, Boston, 1996.

This textbbok explains optimizations of the pH, and the molecular weights (to control 'bridging,' etc.), and the amounts (to prevent 'tangling') of dispersant molecules, with practical examples. Ultradispersants such as imidazoline (page 250), oleyl alcohol (page 253), and ammonium citrate (page 254) are discussed. The subjects covered include dispersants, and also binders for coatings, and plasticizers, solvents, defoamers, lubricants, etc. (The basics of organic chemistry, polymers, and colloids are also covered, in an easy-to-understand fashion.)

At amazon.com, a customer review of the book is visible at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0792397657/ref=cm_rev_all_1/103-2039771-7466213?v=glance&s=books&vi=customer-reviews&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If that link doesn't work, you could go to amazon.com, then search BOOKS for Shanefield (the author of this one), click on Organic Additives, and then on Customer Reviews. (Some amazon.com pages mistakenly say the book is out of print, but that is actually true only for the First Edition. The other amazon pages show that it is available.)

[Although I am the author, and I don't get any royalty on used copies, I have to remind you that you can probably get a used copy (via amazon or etc.), much cheaper than a new one. Since this is a textbook for a course at Rutgers University, there are usually some used copies available --- students have trouble paying for these expensive books nowadays, so they often sell them to be able to buy the next year's books.]

Dan Shanefield
http://homepage.mac.com/shanefield/Resume1.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Institute of Nanotechnology Forum Index -> Nanooptics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: