Nanotechnology Education

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Institute of Nanotechnology Forum Index -> UK
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nanomanuk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Nanotechnology Education Reply with quote

Does anyone know what if any, strategy there is in place to take Nanotechnology education into the FE and Secondary Education sectors in the UK?

There are increasing numbers of post-graduate (and now graduate) courses in Nanotechnology, but unlike the US National Nanotechnology Initiative the DTI/OST Strategy document makes scant mention of Nanotechnology Education throughout the system. I am worried that without a comprehensive education strategy for Nanotechnology there will be a very great knowledge and skills gap when today’s Nanoscience becomes tomorrow’s technology.

As part private project (and material for a Cert Ed assignment) I have been developing a basic ‘Nanotechnology 101’ taught course. I am therefore very interested to network with like minds, and to solicit any thoughts of what the scope and depth of such a course should be. I have my own ideas and an outline curriculum, but I am interested in the opinions of other Nanotechnology professionals and enthusiasts to ensure I cover the essentials in sufficient depth, yet retain an exiting enough syllabus to engage potential students.

If we are to promote the positive benefits of Nanotechnology for the economy and society then I believe that informed debate, and in particular excellent education, is very much the key.

Julian M Snape
sugarflux

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Nanotechnology Education Reply with quote

I stumbled across your post on a search to educate myself in the field. I have been reading some interesting books that scuff the surface of nanotechnology combining computer programming (the area i currently work) and science (of which i know very little comparitively) and find the topic fascinating.

In my early twenties, having settled down with property and a partner, there is little chance that i will afford the time or money to study such a subject at degree level, however there seems to be no other way to indulge my craving.

We are obviously on the brink of numerous dicoveries that will revolutionize the way we work and live. Therefore it seems imperative that the subject is opened to people like myself - with no more then a keen interest and enthusiasm.

I'm afraid i can't offer ideas for what a course should entail but should you need a proverbial 'guinea pig': please, let me know!

sugarflux
dbrookes1@hotmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Institute of Nanotechnology Forum Index -> UK All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: